Skip to content

Pedernales Falls

Pedernales Falls State Park is one of my favorite parks in Central Texas. The park includes a wide network of hiking trails, an equestrian area, a bird blind and, of course, the falls themselves. I have referenced the park in many of my posts, especially many of my Texas bird photographs. I went to the park a couple of times last week with a friend. We were trying to capture the perfect Painted Bunting photograph. We decided to go down to the falls following one of our bird photography sessions in order to conduct some test photographs for an upcoming sunset photo shoot. The photograph below was a test to see if I could get the right angle which includes the rapids in the lower part of the upper falls.

I captured two photos and combined them into one using Photoshop to create this photograph. I used standard settings to capture the clouds and the rushing water. The second photograph was a minute-long exposure to smooth out the rushing water. I was trying to achieve the effect of rushing water without blurring the clouds. The only thing that is missing is a nice colorful sunset.

Pedernales Falls
Pedernales Falls

This image was taken with my Canon EOS 5DS using my Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 Lens set on 27 mm. The camera was set on Manual mode with the aperture set at f/22, shutter speed at 65 seconds and the ISO set at 100. I also used my “Big Stopper” along with a circular polarizer for a total of 12 stops of additional exposure. This was a two images processed in Lightroom, Photoshop and Nik Color Efex Pro. About 70% of the image is at the regular exposure and the other 30% is the long exposure.

You can see other landscape images like this one by clicking here. Please use the section below to post your comments, questions or suggestions.

The answer to yesterday’s question on the Daylily Flower post was that I took the photo outdoors in the planter. The flower was in the sun and the background in the shade.

T. Kahler Photography
© 2016 T. Kahler Photography

You can also follow my work on Google+ and Facebook.

PS: Please don’t respond to this message as it will not reach me. Either post a comment or forward your response to my email address (

Please share your thoughts or comments:

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.