The Polarie Star Tracker from Vixen Optics is a compact, motorized, tracking mount. The Polarie attaches to a standard camera tripod with a ball head on one side and a DSLR or smaller camera on the other up to 7 pounds. Point the Polarie north with the integrated compass, use the alignment window by pointing it at Polaris, the North Star, or use an optional polar scope. Star trails and false fuzzies are eliminated in the time exposures of the attached camera as the Polarie tracks the motion of the stars across the celestial dome. It weighs about 1½ lbs and is about the size of a camera body.
Some of the features include:
- Can support equipment weighing up to 7 lb (3.2kg)
- Usable in both Northern and Southern hemispheres
- Lightweight, compact with ~4 hours of tracking on 2 AA batteries (not included)
- Simple polar alignment options allow camera movement in sync with the night sky
- Tracking modes; Celestial tracking rate, 1/2 of the celestial tracking rate, Solar tracking rate (mean solar time) or Lunar tracking rate (mean lunar time)
- The stepping pulse motor of the Polarie has precise movement utilizing a wheel gear of 57.6mm diameter aluminum alloy axis with a full-circle of 144-teeth. The worm gear has a 9mm diameter made from high tension brass and has 2-piece bearings.